Читать книгу Pyrotechnics. The History and Art of Firework Making онлайн

49 страница из 52

Finch’s Grotto Gardens, whose site is now occupied by the headquarters of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade in Southwark, had occasional displays of fireworks about 1770, as did the Temple of Flora in the Westminster Bridge Road, about the same date. Clithero advertised a display of fireworks at Jamaica House, Rotherhithe, in 1762.

A Peace Celebration display is announced for February 7th, 1749, to “be play’d off this evening in the Field adjoining to the Tavern called Bob’s Hall.”

In 1788 Astley senior advertises, to take place at the Royal Grove and Astley’s Amphitheatre, Westminster Bridge, a “Double Display of Fire-Works.... Numerous Devices prepared in the usual way from Powder, etc., which will be alternatively played off with the new-invented Philosophical Fire-Works, under the direction of Mons. Henry, the inventor and Professor of Natural Philosophy from Paris.”

The same year he announces a display “on the Thames immediately after Astley’s Exhibition in Honour of His Majesty’s Birth-day,” and concludes by saying “the Fireworks are made under the Direction of Mr. Astley, by Messrs. Cobonell & Son, who will let them off on the Thames this evening at different signals from Mr. Astley, Sen., who will be mounted on the Gibraltar Charger, placed in a Barge, in the Front of the line of Fireworks.”

Правообладателям